The POOP lottery that is~
Nova swallowed the penny Saturday, (see previous post), and I found it Monday morning.
I'm so relieved, because the more I read about "swallowed money" the more worried I became. Apparently, pennies made before 1982 were 95 % copper and somewhat *safe*... but pennies made after that are zinc covered with copper and can react with stomach acids and become corrosive as car battery acid, VERY dangerous~ can cause ulcers and upset stomach and even liver and bone marrow damage. You can read an article here. A penny found in a two year old boy had HOLES in it from the acid reaction!!
So, here is one expensive penny~
Lincoln looks a bit pale.
Of course I don't know what it looked like before, but I'm assuming the different color patina is from stomach acid. There are some pits in the penny as well. How scary! And check out the date, 1983. Just ONE year after they quite making the copper ones!!
It's rather pretty isn't it? Like a fall leaf~
Thank goodness for plastic bags and latex gloves. And I'm glad we kept Nova's potty chair to use as a stool for washing his hands. I lined it with a Walmart bag so we could *catch the penny*. Nova wasn't crazy about "pooping in the trash", LOL!!
This may be TMI, but someone might need this info some day... I then squished around on the bag till I felt the penny. SO glad I only had to do this TWICE. I wore gloves and washed and washed. Used an old toothbrush and bleach too. After all that Kevin still didn't want to touch it, ha!
I had been shoving food down Nova left and right too, to *move things along*...